Sunday, December 20, 2009

First Real Korean Weekend

Late last night I realized that I had officially been in Korea for one week. Though this is only one week down with 51 to go, it is really nice to have reached this small milestone in my year I will be spending here. This first week has had a bizarrely similar feeling to my first week of college in Boston. Despite the fact that absolutely everything is new here, both experiences have been the some of the most surreal weeks of my life.

I honestly feel like I have been here a for a month. Settling in here was so unbelievably seamless, something that I would have not thought possible. A large part of this has to do with the amazingly tight knit group of English teachers here who instantly take you in as a new part of their family of foreigners. In my mental planning for coming here I was prepared for a year of solitude, quiet nights at home with my only companion being myself and the three seasons of Arrested Development I brought with me. I really couldn't have been more wrong.


Photobucket


On Friday night we were out until 7 AM, something I haven't done since my sophomore year of college. Nights out start very late here, part of this being because we don't get off work until 10 PM. Jumping from bar to bar, one really gets to see many different aspects of the city, and because it is required to order food at every bar, you get to taste many new Korean side dishes. And of course, there are always a few hours set aside for some Norebang. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0U4KD_GDu5w

Korean businesses could not be more accommodating for this lifestyle. Convenience stores, literally one on every block, are all open 24 hours. Restaurants, bars, norebangs and Internet cafes are always open and happily serve you in any level of drunkenness at any hour of the night.

After only one week, I am already becoming very nocturnal and am wrapping my mind around the idea that it is once again acceptable to embrace a lifestyle where you sleep until 1 or later. I feel like returning to the US is going to be 100 times harder than coming to Korea has been.

One week in and I am still thrilled to be here. I really think you should consider joining me. It is such an easy transition and what a fun way to get paid to see the world! Check out www.naviesl.com for information on how you could be joining me here
in Korea. The school pays for your apartment and your plane tickets, so all you really need to do is pack. Think about it.

No comments:

Post a Comment